Should You See a Dermatologist If You Have Rashes?

Itchy bumps on your skin can be a skin rash. Most rashes are mild, but others can be serious and life-threatening when not diagnosed and treated. Rashes are strange changes in your skin’s color and texture. Usually, they occur because of skin inflammation. 

What Do Rashes Look Like?

Rashes can cause your skin to become scaly, red, itchy, bumpy, and irritated. In some instances, rashes can appear as welts, blisters, or blotches. If you have asheville rashes, it is important to get yourself checked by a dermatologist to avoid complications.

Rashes can be caused by medical issues, allergies, irritating substances, and genetics. Your doctor will determine the cause before they decide on treatment. 

When to See a Dermatologist for Rash Treatment

Every time you notice changes to your skin, such as a strange rash, you should schedule an appointment with your dermatologist. Sometimes, rashes persist and can take weeks to heal. Your skin doctor can diagnose your rash and determine the best treatment for it. It’s particularly important to see a dermatologist for rashes if you notice any of the following signs:

  • You have widespread rashes. If your skin rashes are spread all over your body, it may be due to a serious infection or an allergic reaction. This warrants a visit to a dermatologist. 
  • Your rashes are accompanied by fever. If you have a fever and rash at the same time, you must go to the emergency room. This could mean an infection or an allergic reaction. Shingles, Scarlet fever, mononucleosis, and measles can cause rashes due to an infection. 
  • You have a sudden rash that spreads rapidly. A sudden rash that spreads quickly might be due to an allergic reaction. If you have difficulty breathing, call 911 right away. 
  • You have blistering rashes. You can develop blistering rashes when exposed to poison ivy and the sun. But they may heal without medical intervention. If these rashes did not result from these causes, they could be caused by an allergic reaction, pemphigus vulgaris, or a medication reaction. 
  • The rash is painful. Your skin doctor can assess a painful rash. The pain might indicate shingles or an infection.
  • You have a circular rash. If your rash mimics a bullseye, it could be due to Lyme disease. Typically, this condition is treated with antibiotics, so you must see a dermatologist or your primary care doctor. 
  • You have bruises along with the rash. If bruises accompany the rash, it may be due to a poisonous insect bite. In this case, you need to seek immediate medical attention. 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *